Union Railway Minister Shri.Pawan Kumar Bansal presented the Railway Budget for the year 2013-2014. Was there any gain for Kerala in this budget? Lets have a look !
In the budget speech, minister mentions “As regards setting up of new coach factories at Palakkad…….we are in consultation with respective state governments. I am hopeful of early commencement of work.” The minster also announced that a Skill Development centre will be established at Kollam. No proposals made for new lines, no new proposals for doubling;but announced the survey for Shornur-Mangalore 3rd line.
New Express Trains Proposed
- Lokmanya Tilak – Kochuveli Express (Weekly)
- Visakhapatnam – Kollam Express (Weekly)
- Mangalore – Kacheguda Express (Weekly) via Coimbatore, Renigunta, Gooty, Dhone
Eventhough the following trains are starting/terminating at Nagercoil & Kanyakumari respectively, it is also useful for Kerala, especially those from Thiruvananthapuram.
- Nagercoil – Bangalore Express (Daily) via Madurai, Thiruchirappalli
- Puducherry – Kanyakumari Express (Weekly) via Villupuram, Myladuthurai, Thiruchirappalli
New Passenger Trains Proposed
- Punalur – Kollam Passenger (Daily)
- Shornur – Kozhikode Passenger (Daily)
- Thrissur – Guruvayur Passenger (Daily)
Extension of existing trains
- 12507/12508 Guwahati – Ernakulam Express to Thiruvananthapuram
- 12653/12654 Mangalore – Thiruchirappalli Express to Puducherry
- 56700/56701 Madurai – Kollam Passenger to Punalur
- 66611/66612 Ernakulam – Thrissur MEMU to Palakkad
- 66304/66305 Kollam – Nagercoil MEMU to Kanyakumari
The frequency of 12217/12218 Kochuveli – Chandigarh Express increased from 1 to 2 days.
It is also announced that the Guage Conversion of Meenakshipuram – Palakkad section and Doubling of Chengannur – Thiruvalla and Piravom Road – Kuruppanthara sections will be completed during 2013-2014.