Finance Minister Shri.K.M Mani presented the State’s Budget for the next fiscal year 2012-2013.
What are the impacts for Thiruvananthapuram from this year’s budget? Following are some excerpts related to Thiruvananthapuram from the “Budget 2012-2013”.
Note: Based on past history, a lot of these are just promises for allocations and will remain as just “proposals in a budget”. And a lot of them are proposals from previous years.
- Karamana – Kaliyikkavila highway will be widened to four lanes. Land acquisition process is in progress for the Phase I of the project.
- Land acquisition process will be speeded up for 22 acres of land required for the expansion of Thiruvananthapuram International Airport.
- Institute of Land and Disaster Management at Thiruvananthapuram will be upgraded to International Administrative Training and Management Institute.
- A new engineering college will be established under CAPE at Muttathara,Thiruvananthapuram.
- Studies are in final stages by NATPAC for the extension of National Waterway III from Kollam to Kovalam.
- Vizhinjam-Shanghumukham Corridor will be included in the proposed “Seaport-Airport Area Development Authority”.
- An International Convention Complex and Expo Centre will be established at Akkulam, Thiruvananthapuram under IT Corridor Scheme. Land has already been acquired.
- Infrastructure facilities will be improved for the Vizhinjam Cargo Harbour.
- Tourist boat service will start between Valiyathura and Alappuzha.
- PWD will take steps to protect the architecture of the educational institutions under the State Govt. University College, Govt.Arts College, Govt.Teacher Education College, Swathi Thirunal Music College are the institutions selected from Thiruvananthapuram.
- Modern Fitness Testing Centre for Motor Vehicles will be established in Thiruvananthapuram.
- Post Graduate Course in Road Safety will start in Sree Chitra Thirunal College of Engineering at Pappanamcode, Thiruvananthapuram.
- New Inter State/Inter District Bus Terminal will be constructed at Eanchackkal, Thiruvananthapuram.
- Rajiv Gandhi Academy for Aviation Technology, Thiruvananthapuram will be upgraded to international standards by introducing new courses like Aircraft Maintenance Engineering, Flight Dispatcher, Cabin Crew and Degree in Aviation. An amount of Rs. 6 Cr allotted to purchase a new twin-engine aircraft for the academy.
- ESI Dispensary at Nedumangad, Thiruvananthapuram will start function in this year itself.
- A “Rapid Response Team” will be established to prevent crimes against women in Thiruvananthapuram alongwith Ernakulam and Kozhikode.
- All land related details and informations from various Sub-registrar’s offices in Kerala will be stored in the State Data Centre at Thiruvananthapuram and the project will be implemented in 2012-2013.
Fund Allocations (in Decending Order)
- An amount of Rs.300 Cr allotted for the ongoing JICA aided Kerala Water Supply Project in Thiruvananthapuram, Meenad, Cherthala, Kozhikode and Pattuvam.
- An amount of Rs.224 Cr allotted for Vizhinjam Deep Water International Container & Transshipment Terminal Project.
- An amount of Rs.150 Cr allotted for Kerala State Urban Development Project, Jawaharlal Nehru National Urban Renewal Mission, Capital Region Development Plan and UIDSSMT.
- An amount of Rs.100 Cr allotted for establishing modern waste treatment plants in Thiruvananthapuram alongwith Kottayam,Ernakulam & Kozhikode.
- An amount of Rs.100 Cr allotted to KINFRA for acquiring land and other preliminary infrastructure works for the projects listed under “Emerging Kerala” in Thiruvananthapuram, Ernakulam and Kozhikode.
- An amount of Rs.50 Cr allotted for the preliminary works for the Thiruvananthapuram -Ernakulam phase of the Rs.45, 000 Cr High Speed Rail Corridor.
- An amount of Rs. 43 Cr allotted for Technopark, Thiruvananthapuram.
- An amount of Rs. 22 Cr allotted to Regional Cancer Centre, Thiruvananthapuram for establishing the facilities to identify and for the treatment of the cancer for women and children, cancer related to tobacco and other cancer diseases.
- An amount of Rs.20 Cr allotted for the preliminary works for the Thiruvananthapuram Monorail Project together with one at Kozhikode.
- An amount of Rs. 10 Cr allotted for the upcoming campus of IITM-K in Technocity in 10 acres. This campus will be upgraded to International status.
- An amount of Rs. 20 Cr allotted for the establishment of Industrial Park at Kochuveli alongwith Manjeri and Kottakkal.
- An amount of Rs.10 Cr allotted for the preliminary works of the proposed Rs. 300 Cr Bio-technology Park at Thonnakkal, Thiruvananthapuram.KSIDC already acquired 36 acres of land for this project.
- An amount of Rs. 10 Cr allotted for the proposed Aero Space Centre to be established by KELTRON and VSSC in Thiruvananthapuram.
- An amount of Rs. 8 Cr allotted for establishing Multi Disciplinary Research Labs in Medical College Hospital, Thiruvananthapuram.
- An amount of Rs. 8 Cr allotted for the 3rd phase of upcoming 10 storeyed hospital complex of Regional Cancer Centre, Thiruvananthapuram.
- An amount of Rs. 7.5 Cr allotted for the modernization of Tagore Theatre Complex, Thiruvananthapuram.
- An amount of Rs.5 Cr allotted for Centre for Public Policy Research (CPPR), an autonomous institution like CDS, to be established at Thiruvananthapuram.
- An amount of Rs. 5 Cr allotted for making Kovalam to international standards alongwith four other places in Kerala.
- An amount of Rs.2 Cr allotted for the construction of a Multi-Storeyed Office Complex at Attipra Village near Kazhakkoottam.
- An amount of Rs.2 Cr allotted for establishing VHF at Thiruvananthapuram & Kollam so that the fishermen can easily contact with ships, fisheries station, coastal police station, coast guard.
- An amount of Rs. 2 Cr allotted to NISH for training in Speech Therapy for the children treated for Cochlear Implantation.
- An amount of Rs. 1.5 Cr allotted for establishing “Technical University” in Thiruvananthapuram.
- An amount of Rs. 1 Cr allotted to start a residential school at Kuttichal Panchayat in Thiruvananthapuram for Scheduled Tribes.
- An amount of Rs.1 Cr each allotted for the preminary works for establishing Elephant Rahablitation Centres at Kottur & Kappukad in Thiruvananthapuram.
- An amount of Rs.1 Cr allotted for making Peppara dam site to tourist centre alongwith Karapuzha, Mankara, Kuttiyadi.
- An amount of Rs. 1 Cr allotted for establishing a Museum in Thiruvananthapuram based on Freedom Movement and a Freedom Memorial at Vattiyoorkavu, Thiruvananthapuram.
- An amount of Rs. 1 Cr allottedto the archeological department for the protection of forts/compound walls around Sree Padmanabha Swamy Temple, Thiruvananthapuram.
- An amount of Rs.60 lakhs allotted for the construction of “Bali Mandapam” at Aruvikkara,Varkala-Papanasam alongwith Aluva & Bharathappuzha.
- An amount of Rs. 50 lakhs allotted for the translation and digitization of “Mathilakam Documents”.
- An amount of Rs. 50 lakhs allotted to start VLSI/Chip Design Centre in University of Kerala in collaboration with IIT Mumbai.
- An amount of Rs.50 lakhs allotted for the State Innovation Council which will be formed with Thiruvananthapuram as headquarters.
- An amount of Rs.25 lakhs allotted for the Personal Rapid Transit (PRT) System in Thiruvananthapuram together with one at Kottayam.
- An amount of Rs. 10 lakhs allotted for establishing “Natya Museum” at Guru Gopinath Natana Gramam in Vattiyoorkavu, Thiruvananthapuram.
- An amount of Rs. 10 lakhs allotted for establishing a convention centre at Shanthigiri, Thiruvananthapuram.
- An amount of Rs. 5 lakhs allotted for the development works in Jawahar Balabhavan, Thiruvananthapuram.
- An amount of Rs. 5 lakhs allotted as one-time grant for Bharath Bhavan.
For full details, click here